Friday, August 3, 2012

Things Lost



So interesting how a photo can invoke emotions or bring out feelings inside of you that weren't quite present at the moment. That saying, "A picture says a thousand words" should also add on a thousand words and emotions. 

I'm beyond thankful to God for sight, art, pictures, etc.  Photos capture responses and tell a story in a way that words cannot describe.  Its funny how when we look at past pictures of ourselves it seems like we're not the same person in the photo we're gazing at.  "That doesn't look like me," "I can't believe I use to wear that,"  "Oh, I remember that, it was my favorite," "That use to be my best friend," "That was back in the day when I was able to," "Yeah the good ole days," "Those days were nightmares for me," and the list goes on and on.  Bottom line is that no matter who you are, when you look upon photos that have a connection to you in a personal way...some emotional response will rise within you..

For me...after recently rummaging through past photos, I noticed how my emotions pointed out to me that I had lost a few things, actually a few important things.  And what I had lost was not material things, although I'm sure if I had went down memory lane long enough, I could have thought of those things as well.  What I had lost were soulful things.  Things that made me sing inside...things that made me come alive and see things from that unique place that only 'I' can see.  Things that made me see life from that unique kaleidoscope that God had given me.  Over the years because of life changes and situations those lost things went dormant.  Sometimes its not a bad thing for things to go dormant in your life especially if you gain something else in return. I've gained so much over the years, one being my incredibly, sweet, gentle and handsome husband. I realized that it was necessary for my focus and even some of my dreams to diminish in order to fulfill one of my ultimate dreams...which was marriage. I could no longer consider my own kaleidoscope but also had to realize he had one as well. Thankfully God filled both of our kaleidoscopes with similar visions and goals. We're able to support and encourage one another and be each others biggest fans. 

The beauty of things being lost is that sometimes they're capable of being found again. And when their found again, they seem to have more value and seem to have an even greater significance to you than it originally did.  In my case, I came alive again.  I was happy to be able to discover that I had found things that made me, me. That gave me a childlike essence in my approach to life.  I was thrilled to know that it wasn't too late to recapture all that had been dormant.    I felt an excitement about life that I hadn't felt in a very long time.    So thankful for past photos.               

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Beautiful post. I, too, was looking at past "photos." These photos were my writings. The things I'd left behind when I went to college. I looked at them and thought about time. Where did it go, I wondered... Where did "I" go? It's only been a year but I feel so far removed from my "old" self. I feel removed, even though I feel as though nothing's changed. The kaleidoscope I've looked through seems a bit broken, a bit cracked. I've lost focus somewhere. I wonder what I'll see in my past photographs a year from today.

    Love you, Freda. Stay beautiful and keep discovering!

    Wishing you well,
    Deserae
    P.S. Song for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DcySekLKY

    ReplyDelete